A Class A building no less. This magnificent Church looks more like a Cathedral than a Church. These days, the Church is inter-denominational. Crichton Memorial Church was completed in 1897 for the Crichton Royal Hospital, a model psychiatric hospital, the gift of Elizabeth Crichton of Friar’s Carse, widow of an East India merchant. The cathedral-style church was designed by Edinburgh architect Sydney Mitchell, 1890-97. It has a nave, chancel, transepts and a 123 feet high square tower over the crossing. The richly detailed exterior is of red sandstone from Locharbriggs, Dumfries. The elegant interior features pink sandstone from nearby Thornhill. The superb furnishings include an oak roof, stone carving by William Vickers of Glasgow, floors of Irish and Sicilian marble, pulpit and choir stalls date. The magnificent organ by Lewis 1902 has richly carved screens. Brass angel lectern 1910. Impressive stained glass by Oscar Paterson of Glasgow. The church sits in 100 acres of parkland on the outskirts of Dumfries.